Why is Chenonceau called the castle of the ladies?

Why is Chenonceau called the castle of the ladies?

Built in the 16th century, Château de Chenonceau is the most frequently visited and romantic castle in the Loire Valley. It is known as the Château des Dames or the Ladies’ Castle since its upkeep and construction were managed by six different women.

Who owns Chenonceau now?

Terry sold it in 1896 to a family member, Francisco Terry. In 1913, the château was acquired by Henri Menier, a member of the Menier family, famous for their chocolates, who still own it to this day.

What is Chenonceau castle famous for?

Chenonceaux is famous for its château, which bridges the Cher. Founded on the pilings of a mill in 1513 or 1515 by Thomas Bohier, financial minister in Normandy, the château was completed in 1522 and represents a type of architecture transitional between Gothic and Renaissance.

Who lived in Chenonceau?

Live at Chenonceau got more interesting from 1547 onwards when King Henri II offered the chateau as residence to his mistress Diane de Poitiers (1499-1566). She loved the place and by 1555 was the legal owner of Château de Chenonceau.

What does Chenonceau mean in French?

Chenonceaux (French pronunciation: [ʃənɔ̃so] ( listen)) is a commune in the French department of Indre-et-Loire, and the region of Centre-Val de Loire, France. Chenonceaux. Commune. Chenonceau Château and the Cher River.

What castle did Francis and Mary live in?

Palace of Fontainebleau – Wikipedia.